France 'Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard'

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Feb 24 22:52:59 EST 2003

The ML used the Lafcadio Hearn translation of  CRIME OF SYLVESTRE BONNARD
from 1917 through 1931.  The New ML Edition published in spring 1932 is a
different translation and a new typesetting.

The Hearn translation was originally published by Harper & Bros. in 1890 and
was copyrighted by Harper's.  The ML printed from Harper plates and paid
Harper's royalties of 3 cents a copy (sales from 1925 through 1931 were over
28,000 copies).  Harper's transferred a set of plates to the ML for their
use.  The plates lacked a copyright notice, and the ML made them available
to the Harlem Book Co. for a single-volume collection of four France novels.
When Harper's protested, Cerf paid royalties of 2 cents a copy on the 5,000
copies printed by the Harlem Book Co.--and swore the ML would never use the
Hearn translation again!

I haven't identified the translation used in its place beginning in spring
1932.  It remained in the ML until 1942.