France 'Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard'

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Mon Feb 24 21:30:39 EST 2003

Hi Modlib people,

Just got two swell balloon cloth titles with decent
DJs, Sudermann's 'Song of Songs' and France's 'Crime
of Sylvestre Bonnard.'

The copy of France (22.2) says 'New Modern Library Edition
1932' and has 200 titles on the DJ (with a Spring 1932 list
of titles).  I noticed that Henry's Guide does not have any
info in the DJ1st column, and I am assuming this should be
200 titles (something to add to the Update and Additions
page for Henry's Guide at Dogeared, if it is correct
for the NMLEd of this title).

Also, does anyone know what was 'new' about this new
edition (of a title in the ML since 1917) - new plates,
translation, etc.?

I actually found this title to be a good read (read a
different ML copy a few years back) considering that
Anatole seems to have fallen from literary grace these
days.

John K.