Overton's Great Modern Shorts (was Re: bemelmans)

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sat Feb 15 08:34:19 EST 2003

Gordon Neavill wrote:

> Thanks very much for checking this.  Cerf's edition of Great Modern Short
> Stories was actually published in 1943, though the copyright date is 1942
> and the first jacket has a fall 1942 list.  It superseded Grant Overton's
> anthology with the same title--it's Overton's anthology that the 278 jacket
> refers to.  I don't know why the Cerf anthology was delayed ... maybe they
> were waiting for the Overton anthology to sell out before distributing the
> new one.

I have two copies of the HC Overton anthology (168.1),
one with a spring 1941 dj (271 titles) and a second with
a spring 1942 dj (281 titles).  So it does seem likely
that they were waiting for the Overton edition to sell
out prior to publishing the Cerf revision.  I assume
there was also the issue of war paper shortages at this
time.

This title brings up the point of remaindered MLs: I have
a handful of late 1930s flex MLs with remainder marks
(remaindered when the new larger format MLs became
available), as well as marks on discontinued titles (such
as Fineman) and of course the late 1960s editions as
the ML faded away.  But I have not seen remainder marks
on any late printings of soon to be revised editions
(such as the Overton anth above), or any of the other
anthologies that were revised in the 1940s.

john k.