bemelmans;my war with the united states

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Feb 14 08:03:10 EST 2003

Thanks very much for checking this.  Cerf's edition of Great Modern Short
Stories was actually published in 1943, though the copyright date is 1942
and the first jacket has a fall 1942 list.  It superseded Grant Overton's
anthology with the same title--it's Overton's anthology that the 278 jacket
refers to.  I don't know why the Cerf anthology was delayed ... maybe they
were waiting for the Overton anthology to sell out before distributing the
new one.