Why no ML title on Islam?

Ron Thoman rgthoman at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 18:30:01 EST 2003

Until Karen Armstrong's 2000 "Islam: A Short History" ML apparently
published nothing on Islam, while over the years published "The Buddhist
Tradition", "The Hindu Tradition", "The Wisdom of Israel", "The Wisdom of
China and India", "The Wisdom of Catholicism", "The Short Bible", and
numerous other titles on other religions, religious traditions, and/or
religious philosophies.

Given that Islam has through all the years of ML's long history been a
major religion of the world and historically very important as well, I'm
curious if Gordon, Jay, or others of you might have knowledge, insight or
speculation about why ML, prior to 2000, never did a "Wisdom of Islam" or
"The Islamic Tradition" or some other title on Islam.  It seems a curious
oversight or omission.  The the Christian and Jewish faiths and
philosophies might have been more numerically relevant to the ML customer
population over the years, I can't imagine that Buddhism or Hinduism were
more relevant than Islam during this time.

Or have I shown my ignorance and missed something in the ML catalog?

Ron Thoman
rgthoman at earthlink.net