bemelmans;my war with the united states

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Feb 13 07:22:09 EST 2003

I believe the printing on thicker paper without a list of titles inside the
jacket is the first.  My War with the United States was published in October
1941, a few months before Pearl Harbor; later printings were made during
wartime when paper shortages were a continuing problem.

My War with the United States, like The Thurber Carnival, was printed by
offset lithography, which accounts for retention of the First statement on
subsequent printings (see my column in MLC 44).  If the first printing
jacket was printed by the same printer (and it looks to me as if it's also
printed by offset lithography) that would explain the lack of a list.  Other
ML jackets were printed letterpress, and the ML probably only had
letterpress plates for the seasonal lists of titles inside the jackets.

If anybody has a Bemelmans with a 278 (fall 1941) list inside the jacket
please let me know.  I'm always delighted to be proved wrong!