The Once & Future Projects

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Sun Feb 9 20:38:40 EST 2003

Scot,
The DJ variations project is the most important. If you can possibly find the
time to keep that up, all ML collectors would appreciate it.
Pete

<< Folks,

 The recent contributions to the dormant DJ Designers project and the
 active DJ Variations project had me reflecting in the shower as to
 the state of all Dogeared projects. I have come to the following
 conclusions:

 EXISTING PROJECTS

 DJ Designers - I declare this finished (as opposed to "complete" -
 meaning that, while more could be added, I'm done with it). I thought
 I might spend time adding to it, but I believe that it currently has
 enough info in it to be useful to those interested in what it has to
 offer. If folks make new contributions that are easy to add, I'll add
 that material. Nothing major will happen to it.

 DJ Variations - this project will continue as active. It has been
 tremendously successful thus far, and folks seem to enjoy it judging
 by the feedback I get. Besides, I think it's great fun to do. I hope
 that more people will contribute - it would be really something if we
 could  get examples of every true variation (except color, of course).

 Guide Corrections - I'm behind in my entries, to be sure. Luckily,
 the number of additions and corrections has slowed down. It's a
 useful project, I think, but I have to admit that it's boring to do.
 I'm not yet willing to declare it finished, however.

 DEAD PROJECT

 Faults - last year I started to assemble info for a project that
 would be a primer on DJ and book faults. I've decided that (1) it's
 not sufficiently directly related to ML collecting to deserve space
 on Dogeared, and (2) there's enough info elsewhere on the Web,
 including some info that's well-illustrated. If I get the time, I'l
 pull together a link list (but it's way low in my priorities).

 POSSIBLE NEW PROJECTS

 ML ListServ Index - this would involve setting up links between book
 images and info about those books as gleaned from the ListServ
 archives. This would be very time consuming, but quite valuable.
 Perhaps the Current and Future Authors of The Guide would rather
 include the info in the next paper edition???

 Misc Content Index by Author - clicking one of the MISC books in the
 DJ database would bring up an index of authors in that book. I might
 even add titles for novellas, plays, short stories, and essays (but
 NOT poems - too much work!!!). I think this would be tremendously
 useful for those of us who actually READ our books.  I for one am
 always forgetting what works are included in these anthologies.

 SOOOOOOO - comments?

 Portland Oregon Real Estate Broker
 (with Scott Trahan Realty Brokerage)
 "I Listen."