ML Knockoff (Queen Pedauque) Auction

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sat Dec 27 10:36:48 EST 2003

GORDON NEAVILL wrote:

> I have a copy of this in a jacket slightly less good than
> the one on eBay.  The ML occasionally rented their plates to
> other publishers to pick up some easy money.  From the list
> of titles on the back panel of the jacket it looks like
> several titles published by the National Home Library
> Foundation might have been printed from ML plates, but I
> haven't seen any of the others so I don't know for sure.

I don't think the National Home Library edition of the Queen
Pedauque was technically a knockoff (as in an unauthorized
copy).

The 'National Home Library Foundation' seems to have been
organized to promote literacy around 1932.  "The National
Home Library Foundation is a non-profit organization sponsored
by a group of noted authors and educators" (from a DJ).  The
organization still exists (mostly library grants).

The NHL published 32 hardcover books as the National Home
Library, and also 16 softcover books as the 'Jacket Library'
in the mid 1930s.

The titles are an odd mix of literature and New Deal social
tracts (on taxes, the need for government intervention, etc.)

Four NHL titles were discontinued ML titles, and used the ML
plates.  I am guessing that the ML donated the plates, rather
than rented them, as they were all discontinued ML titles, the
NHL was a non-profit organization, and the hardcover NHL books
sold for 25 cents each.  These are the titles with ML plates:

Ellis 'The New Spirit' 1935 (does not indicate ML copyright;
	discontinued by ML in 1932)
Flaubert 'Salammbo' 1935 (does not indicate ML copyright; dis-
	continued by ML in 1934)
France 'The Queen Pedauque' 1935 (notes ML copyright, 1923;
	discontinued by ML in 1933)
Paine 'Selections from the Writings of...' (does not indicate
	ML copyright; disconintued by ML in 1932).

All are about the size of pre 1939 MLs and have unique pictorial
DJs by George Salter (who also did ML djs).

> As many of you know, the National Home Library Foundation
> was the source of the plates used to print the ML edition of
> The Federalist.

The NHL edition of the Federalist cost 75 cents. It is larger
in size, like post 1939 MLs and has the intro by Earle.  It
says it was produced with funding from the Carnegie foundation.
No date in the book, but it seems to be late 1930s...I think it
was the last NHL title produced.

I assume that the ML guys were in some way associated with the
NHL, or at least were hit up for dontations to the cause!

jk