Bound-in ad for Reader's Guild in a Robert Frost

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Dec 26 13:02:39 EST 2003

Hi folks,

A non-ListServer wrote to me about this. Any comments?

And for a question:  I recently found a Poems of Robert Frost and
noticed something really interesting in the copy, something I've
never seen in any other Modern Library.  At about page 256, there
seems to be an extra page bound in with the book, and on that page is
a brief article about Frost with a photograph of him. On the other
side of this page is an advertisement for some type of reader's
guild.  At first I thought the previous owner had carefully inserted
this page, since the bottom edge hangs out about 1/32" (only enough
to notice when closed), but upon inspecting, the page really seems to
be a part of the binding.  Have you ever seen this, and/or do you
know the history of it?

"[Books of great authors] are regarded as part of the necessary
furniture of the house -- not of the mind; and having been duly and
dutifully bought they are taught to know their place on the appointed
shelf. They are taken as read. . . . There are few men now who, when
a new book is published, read an old one."
                        - anonymous 19th century cynic