ML Knockoff (Queen Pedauque) Auction

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Dec 25 21:19:19 EST 2003

I have a copy of this in a jacket slightly less good than
the one on eBay.  The ML occasionally rented their plates to
other publishers to pick up some easy money.  From the list
of titles on the back panel of the jacket it looks like
several titles published by the National Home Library
Foundation might have been printed from ML plates, but I
haven't seen any of the others so I don't know for sure.

As many of you know, the National Home Library Foundation
was the source of the plates used to print the ML edition of
The Federalist.  Shortly before his retirement, the
president of the Foundation made the plates available to the
ML in exchange for a complete set of ML books.  He died
shortly thereafter, presumably before he had a chance to
read most of them.  The ML subsequently bought the plates
outright from his widow.

Barry