Strindberg's Married

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Dec 16 20:18:17 EST 2003

The ML edition of Married was reprinted from Married: Twenty
Stories of Married Life, published in the U.S. by John W.
Luce & Co. in 1913.  The Luce edition was not printed in the
U.S. but used sheets of the English edition published by
Frank Palmer. Under the U.S. copyright law of 1891, books
that weren't manufactured in the U.S. were in the public
domain; since Luce used British sheets the work did not
qualify for U.S. copyright and the ML was free to reprint it
without permission or payment of royalties.  The ML omitted
one item from the Luce edition: the one-act
play "Creditors", which was something of an anomaly in a
collection of stories.

Married was typeset for the ML and printed from ML plates.
The ML edition neglected to identify the translator, Ellie
Schleussner.

Barry