"Dear Donald, Dear Bennett" & "BOTM Club Dividend"

Printmat at aol.com Printmat at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 14:18:53 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/9/2003 1:35:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kamins at dogeared.com writes:

> One thing of interest was referral to the Book of the Month Club
> using various ML titles as "dividends." I don't know what this means.
> Can anyone enlighten me about this?

BOMC dividends were offered as cake-icing incentives -- like, "buy this set
of Balzac and we'll throw in this ML Illustrated Alice free!" -- or at reduced
prices, with additional purchase. I see an awful lot of book club editions
with the ubiquitous dividend legend on the front flap. This is how I remember it
from the 1960s and '70s -- it would make sense that Cerg was fiddling with the
idea of using books already on hand in the '40s.

Bob