What do I have here?

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Thu Dec 4 07:45:15 EST 2003

McBride, Jo-Anne C MCF:EX wrote:

> I've trained my sons to spot ML binding at 50 meters, so I was surprised
> when my oldest brought me a 'The Good Earth' that had only the one colour
> plus gold stamping. (I had run my eye over the same shelf and missed it!)
> It says it is ML, looks like it, but on the inside, after all the ML
> printing stuff, it says printed and bound by:
> Evergreen Press Limited, Vancouver, Canada.
> (which is where I live and where I bought it).Plus there is a large imprint
> with no colour on the front of the figure inside a hexagon.
> So, is it ML? What do I call it and why does it differ so much from the red
> copy of The Good Earth that I already have?

 From your description, this sounds like a late 1960s ML
binding (the traditional Blumenthal designed binding
was modified, then replaced after 1963).

Do you have the Modern Library Price Guide?  It has images
of all the different bindings.  If you don't have it, get
it and set those kids to studying it.

As for the Evergreen Press...that is curious.  Most MLs
were printed/bound by Wolff.  Maybe Random House used a
different printer/binder in Canada...

John K.