Impact of Toledano Guide on ML Collecting

GrmChiTown at aol.com GrmChiTown at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 10:44:44 EST 2003

The existence of the Toledano Guide has heightened my interest in ML
collecting, yes.  A few years ago, it had begun to occur to me that the ML series
might be enjoyable to collect;  but I had some reservations about its feasibility,
primarily because I knew that virtually all MLs were reprints or later
editions of some other publisher's "first," therefore, wouldn't collecting ML be
rather odd?

Then, while at a flea market, of all places, near Santa Fe, I came upon a
book dealer's table and saw an ML edition of the Thurber Carnival, which I had
always liked. I picked it up and was surprised to see that the dealer was asking
$10 for it, even though it smelled of smoke from a recent fire at the home
store, which I believe was located in Albuquerque.   This told me that I was
looking at a collectable item, according to my own (very simplistic) view, that
is, if a used book is selling for a price higher than the original, then it is
in the collectible market.  The astute dealer, seeing that I was mulling over
the Thurber ML, pulled out a Toledano Guide, which I had never heard of;  I
was stunned.  "You mean there are others like me?"  I cried.  I bought both
books after a very enjoyable and informative conversation.  So that's how I got
started.

Gordon R. McCoy