Impact of Toledano Guide on ML Collecting

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Tue Dec 2 08:48:58 EST 2003

Hi Modlib,

Sometime next year a guide to collecting Everyman's Library
should be published by Terry Seymour.  This will be somewhat
like Henry's Guide for the Modern Library.

As an Everyman's collector, I have noticed that there are
many EL bargains, that fewer people seem to collect them,
and on-line sellers often price scarce titles relatively
low (or the same as very common titles).

I am wondering what will happen after this EL guide is
published, and maybe some of you who have been collecting
Modern Library titles pre and post ML Guide have some
insights into the effect of Henry's Guide on ML Collecting.

I suspect the ML Guide spurred casual ML picker-uppers (like
me) to be more serious collectors, and possibly led to fewer
bargains on scarce titles...more people collecting, more
uniform pricing (based on relative scarcity)...but that is
only a guess...

Any thoughts?

jk