Butterfield 8 first

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Dec 1 14:37:47 EST 2003

At 11:03 AM -0800 12/1/03, Caroline Sloan wrote:

>But, any ideas on how that can that be documented? I sold someone the first,
>calling it a first, and now there's this doubt. I can say, "Well, everyone
>in the business just knows that the first was 1962, because no one's ever
>laid hands on an earlier one." But that's not really very satisfactory.

Well, simple logic is a good start. The number assigned to the book
by Modern Library (Random House) was 323. The book didn't appear in
the series before then with any other number. Unless a number has
been reused, the numbers are assigned  consecutively in time. The
numbers indicate the number of titles in the current catalog. It
wasn't until 1959, for example, that ML had as many as 300 books in
its active list - thus 323 could NOT have been in the series before
that date, making 1952 an impossible date.

Also, when Barry Neavill sees your post, he may be able to point to
the internal archive at Random House for you.