ML Paperback Faulker Sound and the Fury

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Aug 31 09:46:52 EDT 2003

I’m trying to confirm the earliest printing of Faulkner’s
THE SOUND AND THE FURY in ML Paperbacks (P6).

THE SOUND AND THE FURY & AS I LAY DYING (also P6) was one of
the first 10 ML Paperbacks published in spring 1955.  The
first printing lists 10 titles only on the back cover.

THE SOUND AND THE FURY superseded THE SOUND AND THE FURY &
AS I LAY DYING in ML Paperbacks by fall 1958.  The back
covers of ML Paperbacks published in fall 1958 list titles
through P44 (Conrad, Three Great Tales).  I’ve never seen a
copy with an earlier list.  Spring 1958 titles still list P6
as THE SOUND AND THE FURY & AS I LAY DYING, so I’m pretty
sure fall 1958 is the first printing—but I want to make sure.

If anyone has THE SOUND AND THE FURY (P6) published before
fall 1958 please let me know.  Dating ML Paperbacks is based
on the lists of titles on the back cover:

Fall 1956 (list on back cover through P24)
Spring 1957 (list on back cover through P29)
Fall 1957 (list on back cover through P34)
Spring 1958 (list on back cover through P39: Kuhn, On the
Track of Prehistoric Man)

Many thanks!

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill