357.1

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Tue Aug 12 18:12:19 EDT 2003

Good question. This usually occurred when the list of available books
changed. There could also be other reasons. Recently, this group discussed two 1928
issues: France- Revolt of the Angels and Rabelais- Gargantua and Pantagruel.
The initial DJs had two thin stripes of color near the top and bottom (see Scot
Kamins ML website), as opposed the 1/2 inch or so wide standard stripes. Both
DJs came with the 150-title designation. Both came with the first issue books.
However, no matter how you cut it, the true first DJ will always carry a
significant premium over later issue DJs.
Pete

<< <However, during the 1960s, the DJ was not always changed.
 <Thus, it is possible to get the first issue DJ on a later edition book.

 Forgive me if this is a stupid question.  My interest in ML books is greater
than my knowledge of publishing.  I wonder if the reverse of the above was
ever true, where the dj was changed before the first printing of a volume was
exhausted?  For example, when inflation was in high gear and the list price
needed changing.  If so, would the copy with the 2nd cover still be considered a
first?