1st ML, (was 1933 ML Top Ten Best Sellers)

Rob Perrilleon rperrilleon at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:21:23 EDT 2003

Ed's post raises a point that's been bugging me.  Collectability aside, are
the editions used for ML texts considered to be of poor quality?  I've had a
few comments from book dealers implying this.  In "Used & Rare," Nancy
Goldstone calls the War & Peace translation "inferior," and Ed's post seems
to indict EPFBTM.  At the same time, I remember an earlier post saying that
the translation of Charterhouse of Parma was considered definitive.  What's
the story?

Thanks
Rob Perrilleon

>From: "Ed J. Lukanuski" <ejluk at ix.netcom.com>
>To: <modlib at algol.owu.edu>
>Subject: Re: 1st ML, (was 1933 ML Top Ten Best Sellers)
>Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:56:51 -0400

I was surprised that text was use since EPFBTM lacked as all ML's any notion
as to the text authority. Perhaps the professor didn't think it important to
have the authentic text or he knew few of us had the money to buy high
quality editions of those writers.