Alcoa Mystery: More info

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Apr 22 11:20:06 EDT 2003

It would be difficult to remove original endpapers from bound volumes and
replace them cleanly with metallic endpapers, especially in the area of the
crease between the boards and the spine.  It would also be difficult to get
inserted endpapers to match the dimensions of the text block excactly.
Normal practice is to attach the endpapers to the text block, then trim the
whole thing to size before adding the cloth binding.

RH was actively trying to peddle ML books as premiums in 1965.  I don't find
anything in my notes about Alcoa, but I do have an exchange of
correspondence (February 1965) in which ML books were offered to the RCA
Record Club for use as premiums.  The idea was that people joining the Club
would receive ML books rather than (or in addition to?) records.  Kind of a
goofy idea; as far as I know the RCA Record Club never adopted the proposal.