1933 ML Top Ten Best Sellers

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Apr 21 18:39:45 EDT 2003

OF HUMAN BONDAGE was the best-selling title in the regular ML from the early
1930s through the early 1950s (when my information about comparative sales
ends).  It sold 80,000 copies between 1930 and  the end of 1938.  In the
early 1940s it was selling 12,000 copies a year, just ahead of Dostoyevsky's
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT.  It sold 11,563 copies in 1952.  The second and third
best-selling titles that year were INTRODUCTION TO SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS and
INTRODUCTION TO ARTISTOLE, with CRIME AND PUNISHMENT in fourth place at
10,943 copies.   Aquinas and Aristotle were sold mainly as textbooks.  OF
HUMAN BONDAGE and CRIME AND PUNISHMENT were popular with general readers.
My guess is that OF HUMAN BONDAGE maintained its popularity through the
1950s and lost ground in the 1960s.

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT was the third ML book I ever bought.  My first two,
acquired the same day when I was in the ninth grade, were DRACULA and SHE &
KING SOLOMON'S MINES.  At that time the retail price was $1.65.  When Cerf
and Klopfer realized they had me hooked, they promptly raised the price to
$1.95.