Where have all the buckrams gone?

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Thu Apr 17 08:49:18 EDT 2003

HTatML at aol.com wrote:

> I've bought them all!!
> I have 99 in my collection. Not much considering there are around 370.
> Seven for sale. I have been saying for years that the Buckrams are by
> far the hardest to find, especially the Giants. I have 13 Giants , but
> none for sale. Incidentally Bukrams were sold in the regular market and
> not just to libraries.

Has anyone actually seen (or acquired) all 370?  I have
seen the full listing (from Random House, sometime in
the 1960s? reprinted in the ML Collector), but could it
be that fewer than the advertised 370 titles were bound
in buckram?  Given that Henry T. only has 99 titles, I
am a bit suspicious.

Everyman's Library offered a similar library binding on
any of their titles, but I believe that such a binding
was 'on demand' - only if a library or bookstore requested
it.  Could this have been the case with ML buckrams?

Maybe we need to compile a list of actually seen Buckrams?

A pain for those with a big shelf full, but maybe the only
way to figure out if all 370 titles were actually available
in Buckram.  I have only a few: Schulburg 'What Makes Sammy
Run' (281.1), Carlyle 'French Revolution' (G 13.2), Misc.
Anthology of Famous English and American Poetry (G 67.2).

jk