paperback first and bemelmans

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Mon Apr 7 16:00:28 EDT 2003

Barry,

    If three or four titles were published at once, do we know that none
of them were reprinted before other books were added to the list?   Are
there records of paperback printings?

    It seems to me that we have three kinds of ML paperback "firsts":

1) true paperback originals like Styron's The Long March,
2) paperback reprints of books apearing for the first time in the Modern
   Library.
3) paperback versions of titles that appeared earlier as MLs in another
format

Both #2 and #3 are "first thus" but the latter seems a weaker collectible
to me (in terms of pricing), much more like a Modern Library College
Edition.

                      Sharon

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Gordon Neavill wrote:

> Answer to the second question is yes--if the number of a ML paperback is
the same as the highest number in the list of titles in the series it's a
first.  It's usually a first if it's one of the 3 or 4 highest numbers, since
several ML Paperback titles were usually published together.