Mystery hardcover ML DJs

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sun Apr 6 19:52:15 EDT 2003

Hi Modlib people,

I have been wasting time putting together a list of
the hardcover MLs (titles and DJ variants) I am
missing.  162 missing, total.  That is not so bad.

In working through Henry Toledano's excellent Guide,
I found eight common titles from this era that list
DJ types that are not on Scot's also excellent
Dogeared DJ pages, nor have I ever seen them (in my
years of painstaking, back-breaking searching).

If anyone has seen (or owns) any of the variants
below, I would like to know.  It is possible that
the Guide is in error (gasp!), and if that is the
case I can stop looking for these DJ variants.

Again: these are all post 1940 DJs; "T" means
a text DJ and "P" means a pictorial DJ, of
course.

Byrne: 43.3: Messer Marco Polo

The Guide lists a 'T' DJ in the 1940+ column but
I have never seen anything but the saucy pink and
black "P" DJ shown on Scot's DJ pages.

Cellini: 150.3: Autobiography

The Guide lists "TPP" in the 1940+ column.  I have
never seen a "T" DJ for this title.  Scot's pages
show the only two DJ variants (the very common blue
one, and the late 1960s redesigned DJ) I have seen
on this title.

Crane: 130.2: Red Badge of Courage

The Guide lists a "T" DJ in the 1940+ column.  Again,
has anyone seen a T DJ on this title?  By the way,
the kindacool redesigned late 1960s DJ shown on
Scot's pages is not noted in the Guide.

Gide: 187.1: Counterfeiters

The Guide lists a "P" DJ for this title; this is the
version without the Journal (discontinued in 1946). I
have only seen the blandish T DJ.

Joyce: 124.1: Dubliners

The Guide lists "PP" for this title in the 1940+
column.  I have only seen two T DJs.  Should this
be "TT" or are there two P DJs from this era?

Meredith: 134.1 and 134.2: Ordeal of Richard Feverel

The Guide lists "P" DJs for both post 1940 versions
of this title (one without an intro, one with an
intro by Stevenson).  I have never seen anything but
the boring old T DJ shown on Scot's pages.

Merejkowski: 138.1: Romance of Leonardo

The Guide lists a "T" DJ for this title in the 1940+
column.  I have only seen the P DJ with wise old
Leo on it.

Thucydides; 58.3: Complete Writings

This is the later version with the Finlay intro and
no map.  The Guide lists a P DJ for this title.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John K.