ML talk & binding question

Printmat at aol.com Printmat at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 21:44:37 EDT 2002

I'm doing a talk on ML collecting to the Rochester (NY) Bibliophile Society
tomorrow evening. The Sunday edition of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
listed it in the things-to-do section, and promoted me to "publisher of the
Modern Library." Yeesh.

I'm taking along some examples of early bindings. One thing that I happened
upon recently has me curious -- it's a copy of Cellini's Autobiography, in a
turquoise flex binding with shiny geometric figures in the surface of the
material -- reminds me a piece of shower curtain. Is there a name for this
material?

Anyway, wish me luck. Just wish Henry'd already done his and I could crib
from it ...

best,
Bob Riedel
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books