dust jackets

HTatML at aol.com HTatML at aol.com
Wed Sep 11 15:38:23 EDT 2002

In a message dated 9/10/02 2:03:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kamins at dogeared.com writes:

> Not often - sometimes.
>
> >If a bookseller matches one of these jackets to the
> > correct edition of a jacketless book, how should a buyer assess the value
> of
> > the newly-jacketed book?
>
> As if they had been together since birth.
>
> YES> Of course everything must be correct.

I know that many pundits tell you that the book should be left exactly as
found. I find this rubbish. If there is  dust on a book don't remove it. If a
page is curled leave it etc... If there is no way of detecting whether a dj
has been switchedor tampered with , assuming all indications show that it
could be the same as original, then assume it is original. The basis for my
reasoning is that if there is no way of detecting something then any
postulates about what should or should not be done strike me as silly. I find
this the case with laws on the books which tell you you must not do such and
such, but have absolutely no way of checking whether you did such and such.

Henry at Books etc
<A HREF="http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-zshop/S2UJ2VG921GMXP/107-4701874-7344539">Books etc</A>
PMB 395,
298 4th Avenue,