ML EXPO & TALK

Jack Maclean jack at ieor.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 11 01:23:34 EDT 2002

Dear Mod Libbers

   I am pleased to announce that the photos of the exhibition and
announcement of the talk is finally up on the BOOK CLUB OF CALIFORNIA
web page.

bccbooks.org

I also have to say that people are under the mistaken impression that
the figure shown in the announcement is that of Henry Toledano. This
is just not correct!

I have gone to great travail searching through the Bennett Cerf
archives held in various venues to track down the model who posed for
the Modern Library  logo in the twenties.

He turns out to have been a member of the Ballet Russe named Chuck A. Boomskyia
and we located him in a (former Soviet) rest home for aging artistes
located in Pelmini, a village near the volcano of Kiev.

He agreed to pose for us exactly as he had done for the Modern
Library logo done in the twenties, obviously using whatever
accoutrements and dress as were at hand.

I am grateful to be allowed to clear up any misconceptions that might
have arisen involving Henry Toledano and this superlative logo
created for the
MODERN LIBRARY.

Yours respectfully,

Jack Maclean