ML acetate/keratol covers

david medsker dsmedsker at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 22:04:54 EST 2002

Don,

A very welcome correction. Thank you!!

david medsker

----Original Message Follows----
From: Allbooks at aol.com
To: modlib at algol.owu.edu
Subject: Re: ML acetate/keratol covers
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:21:42 EST
Sender: owner-modlib at algol.owu.edu

In a message dated 11/23/2002 2:01:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dsmedsker at hotmail.com writes:

 > Ron,
 >
 >  the harder plastic you mention on your leatherette editions is
"glassine"
 >  placed by conscientious book dealers and collectors to protect the book.
 >  Henry's guide has a method for adding this protection to all of your
 >  editions. Nothing says "I care" like glassine.

Not to nitpick, but here is how it looks from my direction.

The clear plastic on ML Illustrated Editions is what I know as acetate.
Often acetate is printed with words or artwork, and can produce interesting
effects beyond just protecting the book.

Glassine is a thin, fragile, translucent (but not transparent) pain in the
backside.   Glassine djs are usually torn, chipped, and/or browned.   An old
glassine dj in fine condition is a scarce thing and doubtless adds
considerably to the price.   It was particularly popular in the 1930s.
Still
used on books with slipcases, private editions, slim volumes of poetry, etc.
  My theory is that it represents a slight degree of protection of the book,
without the cost of a printed dust jacket.  Particularly on small press
runs,
the cost of a plate is avoided.  To avoid further damage, I usually fold a
ragged glassine dj into quarters and lay it into the back of the book.

Dj protective sleeves (such as Bro-Darts) are made of a thin Mylar.  Heavier
Mylar is often added by collectors and dealers to books lacking their djs or
never issued with one.  It is available in rolls from library supply houses
such as The Library Store here in Kensington (check their web site).  It
needs to be carefully cut to the book's dimensions, a job that probably
requires a proper paper trimmer.  It certainly does say "I care", and is
generally evidence of a valued book.

Cheers,

Don Ramsey
ALL BOOKS CONSIDERED   <A HREF="www.AllBooksConsidered.com">
www.AllBooksConsidered.com</A>
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895
(301) 929-0036