Another ML puzzle

Ron Thoman rgthoman at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 21 17:50:55 EST 2002

I recently got a very nice copy of 4.3 "The Best Short Stories of O.
Henry."  It has a dust jacket with 304 titles stated.  Yet the book is not
a stated first on the copyright page, as it should be according to the
Price Guide.  OK, so I think someone put a first dj on a later edition of
the book.  On the rear pastedown, however, there is an original store price
sticker (from a local store) that appears to be original, and the price is
95 cents.  This would indicate to me that the book was published in 1945,
the year of the first edition, since the ML price went to $1.10 in 1946.
So, does that mean that there was more than one printing of this title
published in 1945, and that I have a later 1945 printing with a first
edition dust jacket?  Or what?

Ron Thoman
rgthoman at earthlink.net