ML #371 Morte D'Urban

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sun Nov 17 09:28:59 EST 2002

Ron Thoman wrote:

> I am a bit perplexed by this volume.

i am perplexed as to why it was included in the
ML, but that is a different issue.

> The book is a stated "First Modern Library Edition, September, 1966."  It
> has the appearance of binding 11, with blind stamped torchbearer on the
> front, but the torchbearer at the top of the spine is that shown for
> binding 12 rather than that shown for binding 11 (i.e. the longer stride).
> Would this still be binding 11 and first edition?  Were the logos used
> interchangeably on binding 11?  Were there two types of binding 11?  Or
> what?  Or is this a later edition?

my copy is the same as yours, without the double
endpapers.  i never noticed that there was a
difference between the binding 11 and 12 torch-
bearers (the latter has a bit wider stride).  as
this is a late '66 title, my guess is that it was
among the first to have the new stridier torch-
bearer, but ML had not switched to the ML stamped
on the front of the book.

jk