Reference works

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sat Nov 16 09:51:52 EST 2002

Jeremy O'Kelly wrote:

> While I have and value Henry's guide, what is the opinion of list members about
> "A Descriptive Bibliography of the Modern Library" by George M. Andes?

I borrowed a copy of Andes book via our interlibrary
loan office and it is certainly a book ML collectors
should take a look at.  Andes Guide is a listing of
ML titles which focuses on first editions.  Much of
his information was incorporated and built upon in
Henry's guide, so the typical ML collector is not
going to learn that much more from his Descriptive
Bibliography.  What Andes does have is more detail
about 1st editions - how many pages, title page
characteristics, etc.  Alas, he does not have much
info on different bindings or dust jackets and he
developed a different numbering system than Henry.
So while Andes was a pioneer, his work has been built
upon and expanded by others (Henry's Guide).

By the way, Andes' collection of MLs, mentioned by
Joe in a previous posting, is available for sale
if you want an instant ML collection; the www page
below lists all the titles in the collection with
some details, and is a useful reference in and of
itself:

http://www.rarebook.com/website/modlib.html

Anyone know if you can visit this collection?

john k.