eBay question

Allbooks at aol.com Allbooks at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 13:50:35 EST 2002

In a message dated 11/4/2002 8:38:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
GOODBOOKS at webtv.net writes:

> "Start writing checks 'til I ran out of paper"
>  Please not to worry,I shall provide you with all the blank checks you
>  need"
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Off topic, but a good yarn, as follows:

About 30 years ago the following episode took place at the headquarters
office of the Riggs National Bank, which in those days was the premier bank
of this city and is across from the U. S. Treasury.

You recall, perhaps, that it was common to find blank deposit slips,
withdrawal slips, etc., in the cubbyholes of the writing desks in bank
lobbies.  Someone had a lot of blank deposit slips printed up, but with his
own account number printed on the bottom.  Any print shop can do this, with
the funny magnetic numbers that also appear on all checks.

So, people would take one of his slips, fill in their own account number, and
deposit their money.  The computer, of course, noticed the printed account
number, and credited the malefactor's account, not the accounts of the
various depositors.  A couple of days later he withdrew a very large amount,
and has not been seen since.

Needless to say, the banks now do not leave blank deposits lying around, but
you have to ask for one.

Cheers,

Don Ramsey
ALL BOOKS CONSIDERED   <A HREF="www.AllBooksConsidered.com">
www.AllBooksConsidered.com</A>
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895
(301) 929-0036