Question re: Buckram bindings

Jay Satterfield jsatterf at midway.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 4 13:06:05 EST 2002

You might want to look at Geoffrey Glaister's _The Encyclopedia of the
Book_ (New Castle: Oak Knoll Press, 1996).  The term colophon originally
referred to the concluding statement of a manuscript, and then came to mean
an identifying device for trade publishers.  The change in definition in
the United Sates happened in the 1920s.  There is a terrific piece in
Publishers' Weekly from August 1927 called the "Cult of the Colophon" which
discusses how publishers are using "Colophons" (meaning trademarks) to
employ modern marketing techniques for selling their books. The publishing
industry uses the term primarily to describe trademarks, and the Oxford
English Dictionary has both meanings as acceptable and correct.

In the late 19th Century, the fine-press movement helped to reinvent the
colophon as a statement at the end of the book as a kind of homage to the
manuscript tradition.  Knopf started using it for his Borzoi Books to point
out their distinctive designs in the 1930s.  Interestingly, Borzoi books
have two colophons, the Borzoi dog as a trade mark and the statement at the
end about the type and designer.

Jay Satterfield