Question re: Buckram bindings

John M. Wolansky jwol at fast.net
Sun Nov 3 08:44:20 EST 2002

Help me out.  My impression is you imply using the term colophon to describe
the insignia found on Modern Library covers is incorrect.  The definitions
you cite indicate the insignia is "usually" found on the title page.  The ML
torchbearer is usually found on the title page, but does it loose that
designation if placed on the spine or cover of the book?    Naturally
curious, I checked my Random House Dictionary and found as a definition "a
publisher's distinctive emblem" without regard to placement.

I took this time because I am a neophyte who is learning the hobby and
associated terminology.  I have been using colophon to describe the
torchbearer no matter where it is located.  Am I incorrectly using the term?

John Wolansky