modern magic

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri May 24 10:59:43 EDT 2002

Book clubs negotiate rights with the original publisher to
bring out a book club edition in the same way that the ML
and paperback reprinters negotiate reprint rights.  The Book-
of-the-Month Club generally manufactures its own editions
using the original publisher's plates, imitating all or most
of the design characteristics of the original edition.
Having a book selected by a major book club like BOMC meant
big bucks and prestige to everyone concerned.  When the ML
indicated on the Darkness at Noon jacket that it was a Book-
of-the-Month Club selection it was similar to saying that
the book had been a bestseller.  Just a way of attracting
attention to and promoting the ML edition.

When the ML licensed book club editions of Modern Magic and
Les Miserables, it received income from the book club
editions.  The book club editions were probably manufactured
by the clubs.  Since the text of Les Miserables was in the
public domain, the Quality Paperback Book Club was paying to
use the ML's plates and cover design.  In the case of Modern
Magic, Alcott's stories had long since passed into the
public domain but Madeleine Stern's introduction and
editorial work were copyrighed, as was the ML's biographical
note, so the publishers of the book club editions were also
paying for the use of copyrighted content.

Barry