Dust Jacket Paper

Ron Thoman rgthoman at earthlink.net
Sat May 11 10:23:26 EDT 2002

I just bought a copy of 165.1 (c. 1947) binding 8 with Galdone dust jacket.
I notice that the dust jacket paper is different from what I have seen
before.  It seems to be a bit heavier than normal and is textured rather
than smooth.  If there is a technical term for this paper, I don't know
what it is, but it is cross-hatched with tiny furrows (bad description, but
that's all that comes to me now.)

I don't recall seeing a discussion of dust jacket papers on the listserv
before.  Is this type of paper above unusual?  As I say, I haven't seen it
before on any of my books - at least I didn't notice if I did and this one
jumped out at me.

Any general information or history of dust jacket paper types used over the
years?

Ron Thoman
rgthoman at earthlink.net