Arrowsmith Variant?

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue May 7 07:51:04 EDT 2002

Hi all,

The ML edition of Lewis's Arrowsmith was published in
February 1933, printed from the original Harcourt, Brace
plates.  The balloon cloth format is about 1/4 inch larger
than the ML's normal format of that period so that the
original plates could be used.  Even so it's a tight
squeeze.  Soskin's introduction was original to the ML
edition.

The first printing from reset plates was in spring 1946. As
John indicates, the text printed from the original plates
(1933-1945) runs to 448 pages and the text printed from the
reset plates runs to 464 pages.  I assume that the new
plates were also the property of Harcourt, Brace & Co., but
I don't know whether the text was reset at Harcourt, Brace's
initiative or at the urging of the ML.  I haven't seen the
1945 printing that John has but would guess the plates are
showing some serious wear.  I have no information about why
the Soskin introduction was dropped when the book was reset.

Harcourt, Brace served notice in 1948 that it was
terminating the ML's reprint contracts for most Harcourt,
Brace authors, including Sinclair Lewis, E. M. Forster,
Virginia Woolf, Katherine Anne Porter, and others.
Harcourt, Brace had decided to start its own reprint series
for the burgeoning college market, Harbrace Modern Classics,
and it naturally wanted exclusive rights to its own
authors.  The ML's contract for Arrowsmith had four years to
run (reprint contracts were typically renewed at five year
intervals) and the ML edition of Arrowsmith was discontinued
in fall 1952.

I've examined the spring 1946 printing of Arrowsmith printed
from the new plates but hadn't seen the spring 1945 printing
that John refers to.  Since I had no way of being certain
that spring 1946 was the *earliest* printing from the new
plates I listed its publication date in my bibliography
as "1946?"  Now that I know there was a 1945 printing from
the original plates I've removed the question mark.

Thanks John!

Barry