1st DJ on non 1st book

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Mar 14 11:37:28 EST 2002

A spring 1957 dj with 379 titles can be distinguished from a
fall 1957 dj with 379 titles.  The spring includes Caesar
but not Sinclair Lewis, Cass Timerlane.  The fall includes
Cass Timerlane but not Descartes.

Caesar was published in April 1957. There was a second
printing of 3,000 copies in October 1957, and if copies of
the first dj were left over they could easily have been used
on the second printing.

A second or later printing dj *can* have a lower number than
the first.  This happened twice during the years that lists
of titles appeared inside the jackets: spring 1941, when the
number of titles was 271 (spring 1940 was also 271, fall
1940 was 274) and fall 1961 as you note.

Barry