Brothers Karamazov

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 16 23:13:26 EDT 2002

I have stated firsts of Dostoyevsky’s BROTHERS KARAMAZOV in
the “transitional” balloon cloth binding, the Rockwell Kent
binding with the torchbearer on the front panel stamped in
gold (Henry’s binding 5), and the Kent binding with the
grape vine on the spine and a blind stamped torchbearer in
the front panel.

BROTHERS KARAMAZOV was first published in Feb. 1929 in the
transitional binding, which was only in use for three
months.  My copies in the transitional binding and Henry’s
binding 5 are bibliographically identical.  In both copies
the last page is blank, and the last gathering consists
(oddly) of l4 leaves, with the first leaf (pp. [949-950])
congruent with the last leaf (pp.975-[976]), which proves
that no leaves are missing.  Both copies have spring 1929
jackets (includes Brothers Karamazov but not Chaucer,
Canterbury Tales).

The “transitional” binding was never intended to be
permanent, and it appears that the ML bound enough copies in
the transitional binding to satisfy initial demand and held
the rest until the Kent binding became available.  The first
printing was unusually large (20,000 copies), and the ML
probably didn’t want to be selling them for longer than
necessary in a binding that was about to be superseded.

My copy in the Kent binding with the blind stamped
torchbearer is unquestionably a different printing.  It
retains the “First” statement and has the same publisher’s
note facing the title page as the earlier copies.  But blank
leaves have been added at the beginning and end of the
volume.  This results in a book in which all 31 gatherings
consist of 16 leaves, which is far more common than having
one gathering of 14 leaves.  This copy has a fall 1929
jacket (includes Chaucer, Canterbury Tales but not
Hemingway, Sun Also Rises).  Cerf indicated that BROTHERS
KARAMAZOV sold about 30,000 copies during its first two-and-
a-half years in the series.  Later ML printings were usually
smaller than initial printings and generally consisted of
1,000-5,000 copies.  My guess is that this copy is from the
second printing.

If you’re contemplating paying big bucks for a BROTHERS
KARAMAZOV first, make sure there aren’t blank leaves at the
beginning and end of the volume!

Barry
Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor