Terminology question

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 16 20:50:29 EDT 2002

I prefer "imitation leather" for the bindings used 1917-
1928.  The binding material was cloth treated to simulate
the appearance and texture of leather.  Boni & Liveright
described the bindings in advertising and on book jackets
as "limp croft leather."  This ambiguous and apparently made-
up phrase was dropped after April 1925 when the Federal
Trade Commission issued a cease and desist order prohibiting
the Modern Library from using the word "leather" in
connection with its bindings except in combination with
words like "imitation," "substitute," or "artificial."

I stand with the Federal Trade Commission.  "Leatherette" is
unclear.  "Flex" isn't helpful because it applies both to
imiatation leather and balloon cloth bindings, both of which
were flexible or at least semi-flexible.

I prefer "balloon cloth" for the bindings used 1929-spring
1939.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor