Life of Michelangelo

jpete9530 at msn.com jpete9530 at msn.com
Sun Jun 16 14:32:10 EDT 2002

Thanks for the interesting history of transitional bindings, especially with
reference to LIFE OF MICHELANGELO.  This is interesting to me partly because
I recently bought (for $1.00!) a copy of MICHELANGELO in what Scott Kamins
said was a keratol cover--ugly green, plastic-like material with an abstract
triangular texture.  Scott said that these were sold as part of a three
volume gift set.  All the signs point to this book having been printed in
1928 (First Modern Library Edition 1928 in front), what looks like binding
#3, Bernhard endpapers, and lack of any 1929 books listed in back.  Would
this be considered a first?  Also, were these books sold with DJs?  What
other works were offered in this format?

John Peterson
Fort Wayne, IN