Transitional binding

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 16 10:40:59 EDT 2002

The ML introduced balloon cloth bindings in January 1929.
All titles published through 1928 were in imitation leather
bindings.  All titles published from January 1929 through
spring 1939 were in balloon cloth.

The "transitional" balloon cloth binding, used January-March
1929, retained the binding design of the ML, Inc.'s
imitation leather binding (Henry's binding 4), including the
Bernhard torchbearer on the front panel.  Rockwell Kent's
balloon cloth binding (Henry's binding 5) was introduced in
April.

I wrote about the "transitional" binding in my first article
on the ML, "The Modern Library Series: Format and Design,
1917-1977," in PRINTING HISTORY, vol. 1, no. 1 (1978), pp.
26-37.  PRINTING HISTORY is the journal of the American
Printing History Association, and the article is well
illustrated. To summarize:

Cerf and Klopfer began to think seriously about abandoning
the imitation leather binding in 1928.  They experimented
with various binding cloths, then settled on a natural
finish balloon cloth manufactured by the Siegbert Book-Cloth
Corporation.  They prepared samples of the new binding, with
semi-flexible covers, and showed them to several leading
booksellers and department store buyers.  The response was
enthusiastic and they decided to go ahead.

The old spine and cover design remained in use for the first
three months, but this was a temporary expedient.  In
December 1928, shortly after they decided to substitute
balloon cloth for imitation leather, Cerf asked Rockwell
Kent, who had already created the Random House device, to
make a "simple but … characteristic Kentian design for the
back-strip."  Kent not only drew striking new spine for ML
books, but redesigned the torchbearer and created new
endpapers as well.

First printings of six 1929 titles appeared in the
transitional binding:

Aiken, ed., AMERICAN POETRY, 1671-1928 (Jan.)
Flaubert, SALAMMBO (Jan.)
Dostoyevsky, BROTHERS KARAMAZOV (Feb.)
Murphy, ed., OUTLINE OF ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY (Feb.)
Merejkowski, DEATH OF THE GODS (Mar.)
Rostand, CYRANO DE BERGERAC (Mar.)

Kent's binding design (Henry's binding 5) had a grape vine
on the spine and a new torchbearer on the front panel.  It
was introduced in April 1929 with Thornton Wilder's THE
CABALA.  His endpaper made its first appearance in the next
title added to the series, Petronius' SATRYICON (not THE
CABALA as I state in the PRINTING HISTORY article).

I've always thought that the Kent and Blumenthal bindings
were the handsomest the ML ever used.  Unfortunately Kent's
design was overly ambitious for books that retailed for 95
cents a copy.  The extra gold required for his design
increased the binding cost by half a cent per copy.  That
half a cent doomed the design, and it was used in its full
form for only fourteen months.  The last title published in
the full form of Kent's binding was ORIENTAL ROMANCES in May
1930.  Beginning with Cervantes' DON QUIXOTE (summer 1930)
the torchbearer on the front cover was blind stamped
(impressed into the cloth without gold).  Henry's binding 6,
with the grape vine omitted from the spine and the
torchbearer on the front panel reduced in size but again
stamped in gold, was introduced in November 1930 with WORKS
OF PLATO (jacket title: Philosophy of Plato).  In May 1931
the spine was enhanced with a small decoration in gold
(Henry's binding 7).

Occasionally a given printing, including the first, exists
in more than one binding.  Boni & Liveright warehoused its
ML stock as unbound sheets and bound them as needed.  It's
common for given printings of Boni & Liveright titles to be
found in multiple bindings.  Cerf and Klopfer don't appear
to have done this as often, but first printings of some ML,
Inc. titles exist in more than one binding.  One example is
Dostoyevsky's BROTHERS KARAMAZOV, the first printing of
which is found in both the transitional binding and the full
form of Kent's binding.  The second printing (which retains
a "First" statement) is found in the Kent binding with a
blind-stamped torchbearer.

I'll have more to say about BROTHERS KARAMAZOV in my next
posting.

Barry
Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor