Life of Michelangelo

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 23:56:04 EDT 2002

Barry,
My copy(leatherette) of Michelangelo has the seven line publisher's note
facing the title page, and does have the listing of titles in the back. As
stated previously, the DJ on my copy(it is pictorial, with the Moses statue
illustrated on the front) does not list Apuleius, indicating a Spring 1928
printing. However, the list of titles at the end of the book does list
Apuleius, and not Dostoyevsky- Brothers Karamazov, indicating a Fall 1928
printing of the book. The recent Flaubert- Salammbo and this discussion gives
an indication of how Modern Library collecting sure is interesting.
Pete

<< This is the first of two or three postings in response to
 issues raised by John and Pete.

 John's copy of Symonds' LIFE OF MICHELANGELO in
 the "transitional" balloon cloth binding isn't a first.
 LIFE OF MICHELANGELO was published in October 1928 in the
 imitation leather binding.  The "transitional" binding was
 used for three months from January through March 1929.  The
 jacket is Henry's Dj 4 (p. 178) with a fall 1928 list
 (includes Apuleius, Golden Ass but not Dostoyevsky, Brothers
 Karamazov).  LIFE OF MICHELANGELO and PHILOSOPHY OF
 SCHOPENHAUER (both published October 1928) were the first
 titles to use the newly designed typographic jacket.  It's
 possible that John has a first printing bound in a later
 binding, but for most collectors, that doesn't count as a
 full-fledged "first."

 LIFE OF MICHELANGELO was also available in a special binding
 and jacket as part of the 1928 Christmas gift box sold
 mainly in department stores.  The yellowish green binding is
 stamped in a diamond-shaped pattern and the reddish orange
 jacket features a drawing of Michelangelo's "Moses."  The
 book has a fall 1928 list at the end of the volume; the
 jacket has a spring 1928 list (includes Dumas, Three
 Musketeers but not Apuleius).  I wrote about the gift boxes
 in a recent issue of ML COLLECTOR.  I assume that jackets
 for copies sold as part of the gift box were printed in
 summer 1928 so that the gift boxes could be shipped to
 department stores well in advance of the Christmas season.
 Pete's copy with the spring 1928 jacket sounds like the
 pictorial jacket from the gift box on a copy in the standard
 imitation leather binding.

 LIFE OF MICHELANGELO is one of many titles in which
 the "First ML" statement appears on more than one
 printing.  "First" statements were generally removed from
 the plates after the first printing.  Sometimes through an
 oversight they weren't removed.  I've seen a few titles in
 which the "First" statement was retained through several
 printings.  Usually this was the result of carelessness.  It
 wasn't the result of malicious intent to confuse 21st-
 century collectors and booksellers.  I have noticed,
 however, that whenever the ML committed a major blunder,
 like omitting Dewey's introduction (pp. 1-13) from the first
 printing of HUMAN NATURE AND CONDUCT, the corrected second
 printing almost always retains the "First" statement.  In
 such cases I guess it means "the first ML edition the way it
 was supposed to be."

 I've identified two printings of LIFE OF MICHELANGELO
 with "First" statements.  These can be distinguished by the
 publisher's note facing the title page.  One has a 7-line
 publisher's note stating that the publishers will be pleased
 to send, upon request, an illustrated ML catalogue.  The
 other has a 3-line note reading, "Turn to the end of this
 volume for a complete list of titles in the Modern
 Library."  Both printings have fall 1928 lists at the end of
 the volume.  My copy in the imitation leather binding and
 Henry's Dj 4 has the 7-line publisher's note.  My copy in
 the gift box binding and jacket has the 3-line publisher's
 note.  I have no idea which came first.  The 7-line
 publisher's note was usually used on ML books without a list
 of titles at the end.  It's possible that copies with the 7-
 line note were printed first, and the second printing
 substitued the more appropriate 3-line note.  It's possible
 that copies earmarked for the gift box were printed first.
 It's also possible that a portion of each printing was bound
 up in the imitation leather binding and a portion in the
 gift box binding.

 I'd be interested in hearing from other collectors with
 stated firsts of LIFE OF MICHELANGELO with fall 1928 lists
 at the end whether they have copies with the 7-line or 3-
 line publisher's note, and which binding they have
 (imitation leather, gift box, or transitional balloon cloth).

 I'll post separate messages to the list giving more
 information about the transitional binding and Dostoyevsky's
 BROTHERS KARAMAZOV.

 Barry

 Gordon B. Neavill
 Associate Professor