Life of Michelangelo

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Jun 15 21:02:13 EDT 2002

This is the first of two or three postings in response to
issues raised by John and Pete.

John's copy of Symonds' LIFE OF MICHELANGELO in
the "transitional" balloon cloth binding isn't a first.
LIFE OF MICHELANGELO was published in October 1928 in the
imitation leather binding.  The "transitional" binding was
used for three months from January through March 1929.  The
jacket is Henry's Dj 4 (p. 178) with a fall 1928 list
(includes Apuleius, Golden Ass but not Dostoyevsky, Brothers
Karamazov).  LIFE OF MICHELANGELO and PHILOSOPHY OF
SCHOPENHAUER (both published October 1928) were the first
titles to use the newly designed typographic jacket.  It's
possible that John has a first printing bound in a later
binding, but for most collectors, that doesn't count as a
full-fledged "first."

LIFE OF MICHELANGELO was also available in a special binding
and jacket as part of the 1928 Christmas gift box sold
mainly in department stores.  The yellowish green binding is
stamped in a diamond-shaped pattern and the reddish orange
jacket features a drawing of Michelangelo's "Moses."  The
book has a fall 1928 list at the end of the volume; the
jacket has a spring 1928 list (includes Dumas, Three
Musketeers but not Apuleius).  I wrote about the gift boxes
in a recent issue of ML COLLECTOR.  I assume that jackets
for copies sold as part of the gift box were printed in
summer 1928 so that the gift boxes could be shipped to
department stores well in advance of the Christmas season.
Pete's copy with the spring 1928 jacket sounds like the
pictorial jacket from the gift box on a copy in the standard
imitation leather binding.

LIFE OF MICHELANGELO is one of many titles in which
the "First ML" statement appears on more than one
printing.  "First" statements were generally removed from
the plates after the first printing.  Sometimes through an
oversight they weren't removed.  I've seen a few titles in
which the "First" statement was retained through several
printings.  Usually this was the result of carelessness.  It
wasn't the result of malicious intent to confuse 21st-
century collectors and booksellers.  I have noticed,
however, that whenever the ML committed a major blunder,
like omitting Dewey's introduction (pp. 1-13) from the first
printing of HUMAN NATURE AND CONDUCT, the corrected second
printing almost always retains the "First" statement.  In
such cases I guess it means "the first ML edition the way it
was supposed to be."

I've identified two printings of LIFE OF MICHELANGELO
with "First" statements.  These can be distinguished by the
publisher's note facing the title page.  One has a 7-line
publisher's note stating that the publishers will be pleased
to send, upon request, an illustrated ML catalogue.  The
other has a 3-line note reading, "Turn to the end of this
volume for a complete list of titles in the Modern
Library."  Both printings have fall 1928 lists at the end of
the volume.  My copy in the imitation leather binding and
Henry's Dj 4 has the 7-line publisher's note.  My copy in
the gift box binding and jacket has the 3-line publisher's
note.  I have no idea which came first.  The 7-line
publisher's note was usually used on ML books without a list
of titles at the end.  It's possible that copies with the 7-
line note were printed first, and the second printing
substitued the more appropriate 3-line note.  It's possible
that copies earmarked for the gift box were printed first.
It's also possible that a portion of each printing was bound
up in the imitation leather binding and a portion in the
gift box binding.

I'd be interested in hearing from other collectors with
stated firsts of LIFE OF MICHELANGELO with fall 1928 lists
at the end whether they have copies with the 7-line or 3-
line publisher's note, and which binding they have
(imitation leather, gift box, or transitional balloon cloth).

I'll post separate messages to the list giving more
information about the transitional binding and Dostoyevsky's
BROTHERS KARAMAZOV.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor