Question on Symonds/Life of Michelangelo/1st ed

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Fri Jun 14 09:20:16 EDT 2002

My copy of this title, which states First Modern Library Edition 1928, is in
a leathrerette, type 4 binding. The DJ, which also states 150 titles on the
back panel, corresponds to the "c" jacket style(no torchbearer logo on the
spine) on page 162 of Henry's Guide. The DJ dates to the Spring of 1928- no
Apuleius- Golden Ass listed. This is a full year prior to the Brothers K
listing. You would normally expect to find a Spring 1928 publication in a
typographical DJ, but apparently not in this case. This later DJ "problem" on
pre-1930 issues appears to be more common than I originally thought. I was
recently offered two Brothers Karamazov firsts by one dealer- both had later
DJs.
Pete