ML Falubert Salammbo

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Jun 11 09:49:54 EDT 2002

I've never paid much attention to the number of titles on
the back panel of ML jackets, which are often unreliable.
Even the number of titles in the heading inside the
jackets: "WHICH OF THESE [000] OUTSTANDING BOOKS DO YOU WANT
TO READ?" can be misleading, since there are several seasons
with identical numbers (fall 1933 and spring and fall 1934
are all 225; spring 1940 and spring 1941 are both 271;
spring and fall 1948 are both 334, spring and fall 1957 are
both 379, fall 1959 and spring 1960 are both 388; fall 1962
and spring 1963 are both 415).

The most reliable way to date a jacket is on the basis of
the list of titles inside it.  The dating key I've created
for myself indicates that fall 1928 jackets list Apuleius,
Golden Ass but not Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov.  Other
titles would work just as well.

Flaubert's Salammbo was published in January 1929, but the
first jacket has a fall 1928 list.  Jackets for most January
titles used lists from the previous fall since they had to
be printed before the spring list was finalized (or at least
set in type).  I list fall 1928 in my bibliography as the
first Salammbo jacket on the basis of Joe Hill's copy, which
I examined about ten years ago.  (Thanks Joe!)

My own copy of the Salammbo first printing has a
transitional binding and a spring 1929 jacket (lists
Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov but not Chaucer, Canterbury
Tales).  This is a variant jacket.  Instead of
saying "Complete and unabridged in one volume" the front
panel text reads: "Presented, with the compliments of
Bennett A. Cerf and Donald S. Klopfer, to the guests of the
Womens National Booksellers Association, in conclave at the
Hotel Commodore, New York, March 7, 1929."

Pete: if you have this jacket, don't get rid of it just
because it's not the first.  It's probably rarer than the
first dj.  (I'd love to know more about the Womens National
Booksellers Association ... guess I'll have to dig into back
volumes of Publishers Weekly.)

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor