Tristram Shandy

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Jun 5 19:01:37 EDT 2002

Here's the info I have on Tristram Shandy in connection with
the marbled paper:

The first printing (1928) includes a piece of genuine
marbled paper tipped in facing p. 202.  Marbled paper is
made by floating colors on the surface of a tray of water,
combing the colors to create a pattern, then gently laying a
sheet of paper over the surface to transfer the pattern to
the paper.  The colors float because carageenan (sp.?) is
added to the water; carageenan is a seaweed derivative that
is also used as a thickening agent in ice cream and other
food products.  Each sheet of handmade marbled paper is
unique.  I don't know how many copies there were in the
first printing, but the ML would have used many sheets of
marbled paper.  My guess is that they got around 30 to 40
inserts per sheet.  This accounts for the varied designs of
marbled paper in different copies.

I've seen copies of the first printing with a 4-page list of
titles at the end of the volume and copies without the
list.  This is a rare example of the list not being printed
as part of the last gathering of text.  The list is what
bibliographers call an "inserted fold" ... the blank page
[592] is the last page of the last gathering, and the 4-page
ML list was tipped in.  I guess they figured as long as a
sheet of marbled paper was being tipped in they might as
well tip in a ML list as well.  I don't know whether there's
any priority between copies with the list and copies without
it.

Klopfer wrote in June 1928 when the book was published that
the marbled paper, which was customary in finer editions of
Tristram Shandy, was "the height of luxury."  It was a
luxury the ML abandoned after the first printing.  No
subsequent printing I've seen includes a tipped in piece of
marbled paper.

When the ML reset the text of Tristram Shandy in the mid
1940s, p. 235 was printed with a marbled pattern.  Not "the
height of luxury" but an adequate substitute.  Any edition
of Tristram Shandy that includes marbled paper (genuine or
simulated) should have it facing the end of Part III,
Chapter 36, where Sterne refers to "the next marbled page."
The text of the reset ML edition ends on p. 674 as opposed
to p. 591 for all printings of the first setting.  The
earliest printing I've seen of the reset text with simulated
marbled paper has a fall 1947 jacket.  These plates remained
in use until the ML discontinued Tristram Shandy in 1970.
An introduction by Bergen Evans was added in the early
1950s; the earliest copy I've seen with the Evans
introduction has a fall 1952 jacket.

I'll be grateful if anyone can amplify or correct this
information.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor