ML Franklin

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Wed Jul 31 10:04:48 EDT 2002

GORDON NEAVILL wrote:

> The Commager introduction replaced the Goodman introduction
> in 1944 when the text was reset.  Printings before 1944 have
> 260 pages; printings from 1944 on have 264 pages.

> Scott's 1963 copy has a bibliography on pp. xiv-xvi that was
> added in 1950 when Franklin's Autobiography was included in
> Modern Library College Editions, and a copyright statement
> that reads, "Copyright 1944, 1950, by Random House, Inc."

I had also noticed the different introductions
in the Franklin title (39.2).  Given Gordon's
information, this adjustment should be made to
Henry's Guide:

39.2 Franklin Autobiography w/Goodman intro: 32-44
39.3 Franklin Autobiography w/Commager intro: 44-70

Not sure if the bibliography addition in 1950 is
enough of a modification to justify a different
Toledano number post-1950.

Also: any thoughts on the value of the HC version
of 39.2 (about 1940-44): these MLs that were only
available in the early 40s seem somewhat scarce but
don't seem to demand a huge price on eBay when they
do show up.  Similar titles seem to be in the J or K
range.

john k.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/