ML Franklin

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Jul 27 14:46:35 EDT 2002

The Commager introduction replaced the Goodman introduction
in 1944 when the text was reset.  Printings before 1944 have
260 pages; printings from 1944 on have 264 pages.  The text
was reset for the Illustrated ML edition.  The Commager
introduction was written for the Illustrated ML as well.
The new plates made for the Illustated ML were also used for
regular ML printings.  The first printing of the Illustrated
Franklin and the first regular ML printing from the new
plates were both fall 1944.  The text is beautifully
designed, as you would expect in any book designed by Bruce
Rogers.  Regular ML printings retain the handsome decorative
drawings at the head of each chapter that were created for
the Illustrated ML.  I don't know whether the decorative
drawings are by Rogers or Thomas Hart Benton, who did the
colored illustrations for the Illustrated ML edition, though
to me they look like Rogers's work.

Scott's 1963 copy has a bibliography on pp. xiv-xvi that was
added in 1950 when Franklin's Autobiography was included in
Modern Library College Editions, and a copyright statement
that reads, "Copyright 1944, 1950, by Random House, Inc."
The earliest printing in the regular ML with the
bibliography that I've seen is spring 1952.  The title page
also differs from earlier printings from the 1944 plates in
that Commager's title, "Professor of American History,
Columbia University" is added below his name.

Barry