Little Leather Library

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Jul 11 17:29:33 EDT 2002

I don't know of a complete list of Little Leather Library
titles.  I have about 70 of them, including one of the boxed
sets of 30 volumes that were sold by mail for $2.95.  Albert
Boni started the Little Leather Library in partnership with
Harry Scherman, who was then a young copywriter at the J.
Walter Thompson advertising agency.  Scherman had a flair
for writing mail-order ads for books.  Max Sackheim, another
advertising man, was also involved in the enterprise.  The
Little Leather Library was significant mainly because of
what it led to--Boni left the Little Modern Library and went
on start the Modern Library in 1917; Scherman built on his
Little Leather Library experience to start the Book-of-the-
Month Club in 1926.

The books aren't expensive ... I've often seen them in
antique shops, and at any given time there are usually a few
on eBay.

G. Thomas Tanselle has a note about "The Little Leather
Library Corporation's 'Fifty Best Poems of America'" in
Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America, v. 62
(1968), pp. 604-7, and Sackheim discusses it in his
autobiography, My First 65 Years in Advertising (1975).
There's also a chapter about the Little Leather Library in
the Book-of-the-Month Club oral history (Oral History
Office, Columbia University Library).

Barry